The 17 players who will miss the US Open including Emma Raducanu and Jannik Sinner
The US Open has been rocked by injury carnage on the eve of the final grand slam of the year after Jannik Sinner, Jack Draper and Holger Rune all announced their withdrawals on Saturday. World No.1 Sinner confirmed the sad news that he won’t be able to compete at Flushing Meadows because of a knee injury.
The 25-year-old hasn’t played at all since winning the Wimbledon title in July – his fifth career grand slam title. “Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” the Italian said in a statement.
“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.
Holger Rune and Jack Draper also withdraw
The announcement from the 2024 US Open champion came just hours before Draper and Rune also revealed they won’t be playing. A former World No.4, Draper has been plagued by injuries in recent years and is currently battling a peristant arm issue.
He missed around seven months following Wimbledon last year, and hasn’t played any of the grand slams this year. He returned to action in Canada earlier this month, but broke down in tears during the third set of a loss to Terence Atmane. He then lost to young Spaniard Martin Landaluce in Cincinnati last week.
Rune hasn’t played since October due to an Achilles injury. The former World No.5 said he’s nearing a return, but it won’t be at the US Open.
“My team and I have decided not to have a grand slam as my first tournament coming back,” the 25-year-old wrote on social media. “US Open see you next year. Can’t wait to see you all VERY soon.”
US Open withdrawals reaches 17 players
The withdrawals of Sinner, Draper and Rune mean 17 players have now been forced to pull out of the US Open. Other high-profile withdrawals are Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, Sebastian Korda, Victoria Mboko and Emma Raducanu.
In a boost for organisers, defending champ Carlos Alcaraz revealed on Friday that he’ll make his return at the US Open after a four-month absence due to a wrist injury.
Players who have withdrawn from US Open:
Men’s draw:
-
Jannik Sinner (World No.1) – replaced by Carlos Taberner
-
Alejandro Davidovich Fokina (No.27) – replaced by Alexei Popyrin
-
Ethan Quinn (No.58) – replaced by Martin Damm
-
Sebastian Korda (No.64) – replaced by Aleksandar Vukic
-
Holger Rune (No.102) – replaced by Facundo Diaz Acosta
-
Gabriel Diallo (No.105) – replaced by Wu Yibing
-
Emilio Nava (No.108) – replaced by Benjamin Bonzi
-
Jack Draper (No.143) – replaced by Sumit Nagal
Women’s draw:
-
Victoria Mboko (No.17) – replaced by Mananchaya Sawangkaew
-
Hailey Baptiste (No.32) – replaced by Kaitlin Quevedo
-
Jaqueline Cristian (No.40) – replaced by Darja Vidmanova
-
Emma Raducanu (No.59) – replaced by Anna Blinkova
-
Ajla Tomljanovic (No.93) – replaced by Ella Seidel
-
Laura Siegemund (No.98) – replaced by Nadia Podoroska
-
Varvara Gracheva (No.106) – replaced by Anastasia Zakharova
-
Jil Teichmann (No.167) – replaced by Julia Grabher
-
Irina-Camelia Begu (No.462) – replaced by Elsa Jacquemot



