
BREAKING: Novak Djokovic retirement plan at risk as health issue emerges
Novak Djokovic has revealed he is dealing with a health issue, which could impact his plans to retire from the sport in 2028. The tennis icon recently struggled at the Cincinnati Open, losing to Thiago Tirante in his first match back since Wimbledon.
The 39-year-old has won a record 24 Grand Slam titles during his illustrious career and is still chasing his dream of clinching a 25th major title. Djokovic is set to enter the upcoming US Open and will also team with Aryna Sabalenka in the mixed doubles event. However, the Serbian ace faltered in the heat at the Cincinnati Open, vomiting into a towel and having his blood pressure checked during a medical timeout during his clash with Tirante. Djokovic won the first set but appeared drained as he lost the second set 6-4, with the deciding set settled by the same scoreline. After the match, Djokovic revealed that a health condition had affected his performance, potentially putting his retirement plans at risk.
First and foremost, I congratulate my opponent today. Honestly, it hasn’t been a pleasant match for me,” Djokovic said. “That’s how I’ve felt. It hasn’t been the first time, and it won’t be the last. That’s just how it is.
“The conditions aren’t the problem. It’s because of a health issue I have. I’ve been dealing with it for many years now
It causes me a lot of problems, especially when there’s a lot of humidity and heat. I️ knew these conditions were going to affect me, but there are other things too: the nerves and everything that comes with a match like this. All of that makes the situation worse, and that’s what happened.”
Following the defeat, he added that he may not return to Cincinnati: “It looks like I won’t be back, unfortunately to play here. It was a combination of the heat and humidity, all those things. Everything involved makes it worse.”
The situation could impact Djokovic’s plans to retire after the 2028 Olympics if the condition continues to take a toll. The reigning Olympic champion will be 41 when he attempts to retain his gold medal in Los Angeles, which Djokovic has previously earmarked as the perfect time to hang up his racket.
“I’ve always had this throughout my life and my career, I’ve always had a schedule in my head for a year or more, what I want, how I want it,” Djokovic said in 2025 after winning the Hellenic Championship in Athens.
“Since I’ve achieved absolutely all possible goals, I said about the 2028 Olympics because I wanted to play for so many more years. So maybe ending up at the Olympic Games with the Serbian flag, that would be nice.”
However, Djokovic did caution that his plans could change in the future. He explained: “I really don’t know. Because there are some things that are not entirely in my control. I’m trying to be as healthy as possible mentally and physically.”
Djokovic’s struggle in Cincinnati and acknowledgement of his health issue show these comments in a new light and demonstrate how his retirement plans could change over the next two years. It remains to be seen whether the tennis icon will be able to return to his best at the US Open, with the first round beginning on August 30.



