HeadlinesSportTennis

Just In: Aryna Sabalenka agrees to help Novak Djokovic after Serb ‘begged her in…

Just In: Aryna Sabalenka agrees to help Novak Djokovic after Serb ‘begged her in DMs’

 

Aryna Sabalenka says she will team up with Novak Djokovic in the US Open mixed doubles next week after he ‘begged’ her for a blockbuster partnership. The women’s world No.1 and 24-time Grand Slam champion Djokovic will form a formidable duo in the new format of the event, which was radically changed for 2025. The mixed doubles is now played in the week before the Grand Slam and is made up largely of star-studded singles players with the prize money given a five-times increase to £738,000 ($1million).

As well as Djokovic and Sabalenka, Venus Williams is set to team up with Alexander Bublik, Jack Draper will reunite with Jessica Pegula after they made the semi-finals last year and Elena Rybakina and Taylor Fritz will play together. Katie Boulter and Alex de Minaur, who got married last month, have also been named on this year’s initial entry list.

And Sabalenka has joked that Djokovic was desperate to form an all-star duo with her after the pair exchanged messages. She was asked about it after a hard-fought Cincinnati Open win over Talia Gibson in which she had five match points saved.

The on-court interviewer said: “Are the rumours true that there is an Ary-Nole teaming up at the US Open in mixed doubles? We can hardly wait if that’s true. Who slid into whose DMs?”

The Belarusian, 28, replied: “Well you know, he was begging me to play with him. I said ‘you know what… Of course legend, I’ll help you out. Let’s try to have fun and go for the title.’ So I guess it’s true. We are playing. It’s gonna be so much fun. I’m super excited.”

But Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner have not entered into the mixed doubles due to injury concerns which could stop them from playing in New York entirely. The entry window closes today (August 17), meaning there could be more changes to the line-up, with Serena Williams a potential late entry.

 

Sabalenka’s comments come a day after Djokovic lost to Argentina’s Thiago Agustin Tirante in Cincy during which he toiled physically. The Serb, 39, later admitted after his 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 loss: “First and foremost, I congratulate my opponent today.

“Honestly, it hasn’t been a pleasant match for me. That’s how I’ve felt. It hasn’t been the first time, and it won’t be the last. That’s just how it is. The conditions aren’t the problem.

“It’s because of a health issue I have. I’ve been dealing with it for many years now. It causes me a lot of problems, especially when there’s a lot of humidity and heat.

“I️ knew these conditions were going to affect me, but there are other things too: the nerves and everything that comes with a match like this. All of that makes the situation worse, and that’s what happened.

“It was a combination of the heat and humidity, all those things. Everything involved makes it worse.”

The 2026 US Open mixed doubles event will be played between Monday, August 24, and Wednesday 26, before the singles draws get underway at Flushing Meadows on Sunday 30

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button