HeadlinesSportTennis

Breaking News: Andy Murray Becomes Patron of Dunblane Charity Set Up After Massacre

Former world No. 1 Andy Murray has taken on a deeply personal and meaningful role by becoming a patron of a Dunblane charity established in the aftermath of the town’s tragic 1996 massacre.
The announcement carries profound emotional significance. Murray was just eight years old and a pupil at Dunblane Primary School when the devastating shooting occurred on March 13, 1996 — a tragedy that shook Dunblane and the entire United Kingdom.

Sir Andy Murray has taken on his first official patronage since hanging up his racquet, backing a charity established following the Dunblane massacre.

The Dunblane Centre revealed it represents the tennis legend’s inaugural patronage since stepping away from professional competition last year. The charity emerged after the tragic shooting at Dunblane Primary School in March 1996, when gunman Thomas Hamilton murdered 16 children and their teacher in the gymnasium before taking his own life.

Following an outpouring of donations from around the globe in the wake of the atrocity, the centre was established as a tribute to those impacted. Sir Andy, who claimed three men’s grand slam singles crowns and pair of Olympic gold medals during his illustrious career, hails from Dunblane.

Both he and sibling Jamie were pupils at the school when the massacre unfolded. The Dunblane Centre launched in 2004 as a lasting memorial to the tragedy’s victims and serves as a community hub offering sports coaching, arts and crafts, soft play facilities, dance classes and social gatherings.

The double Wimbledon champion Sir Andy expressed his honour at accepting the patronage.

He said: “The Dunblane Centre is a central part of the community here in Dunblane and the work they do is so important for local people. I think community centres like this one are becoming more and more essential, particularly for kids who need spaces where they can try new things and meet new people.

“I’m proud to be joining the team and look forward to adding my support in the coming years.”

The centre revealed the tennis champion’s family have been supporters from the very start. His grandfather Roy Erskine provided guidance to the original steering group whilst grandmother Shirley donated her homemade shortbread to fundraising campaigns.

The centre marked its 20th anniversary last year following financial difficulties in 2023 due to escalating expenses. A recent award from The National Lottery Community Fund, backing the Beacon of Hope project, has allowed the centre to recruit two additional youth workers and a facilities manager.

Having successfully avoided the risk of closure, the centre is now planning to broaden its programme and enhance its facilities for coming generations.

Sue Lockwood, chair of trustees, explained: “We always remember that the Dunblane Centre isn’t just a building – it is a living tribute and a gift to the entire community, established using donations sent from around the world following the tragedy at Dunblane Primary School on March 13 1996 – Dunblane’s saddest time.

“Often said to be a ‘Beacon of Hope’, each week, we welcome into our unique and dynamic building around 1,000 people from our community, spanning all ages and stages. Our fabulous team consists of our centre staff, trustees and selfless volunteers, all warmly supported by our patrons

As we look forward to celebrating 21 years of our doors being open, we are so thrilled to have Andy’s support, and we are delighted to welcome him as an inspiring and powerful addition to our group of Patrons.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button