Connect with us

Headlines

Rafael Nadal sparks French Open fears with bleak statement as Spaniard pulls out of…

Published

on

Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the Madrid Masters, further delaying his comeback. He has started a new course of treatment after his current rehab period proved unsuccessful and now has just one tournament left before the French Open to get some matches in – the Rome Masters. It comes after Nadal reportedly visited his doctor after pulling out of recent tournaments in Monte Carlo and Barcelona.

Nadal issued a bleak injury update on Thursday as he admitted he had changed his treatment tactics with the hopes of playing at least a few clay tournaments – with only Rome and the French Open left. “Haven’t communicated with you guys directly in a while. It’s been a rough few weeks and months,” he wrote on Instagram alongside a video statement.

As you know I suffered a major injury in Australia, in the Psoas. Initially it had to be a six to eight week recovery period and we’re on to number fourteen. The reality is that the situation is not what we had hoped for.”

The 22-time Major champion went on to explain that he had followed all medical advice to no success, forcing him to change his treatment with weeks to go until the French Open. He continued: “All medical directions have been followed, but somehow evolution has not been what we were initially told and we find ourselves in a situation that is difficult.”

Nadal also admitted that he had been under the impression that he could play a full clay schedule but was now force to withdraw from Madrid after missing Monte Carlo and Barcelona. “The weeks are passing and I had the illusion of being able to play in tournaments that are the most important in my career such as Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid, Roma, Roland Garros and at the moment I missed Monte Carlo and Barcelona. Won’t be able to be in Madrid unfortunately,” he said.

The injury is still unhealed and I can’t work what I need to compete. I was training, but now a few days ago we decided to change course a bit, do another treatment and see if things improve to try and get to what comes.”

But Nadal admitted that he had no timeframe for the new treatment, adding: “I can’t give deadlines because if I knew I would tell you but I don’t know. This is the current situation.

He concluded: “All I have left is to try to keep the right attitude all this time, try to give myself a chance to compete in some of the tournaments left of the dirt season and I have no choice but to work and be with the right mindset.”

Despite pulling out, Diaria de Mallorca reports that the world No 14 is still expected to be in the Spanish capital for sponsorship obligations with the likes of Telefonica, Kia and Babolat. But Nadal is running out of time to get matches in before the upcoming French Open, where he will be bidding to win a record-extending 15th trophy and 23rd overall Grand Slam title.

It was also reported that Nadal visited his regular doctor – Dr Angel Ruiz Cotorro – at Barcelona’s Teknon clinic last Monday. His coach Carlos Moya, his physio and his agent were also all in attendance.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2023 Airsportt. powered by WordPress.